Mar 15, 2019
“It would be a mistake to think that computer scientists only need to know how to code, because…ethics and privacy issues are so important. (Therefore) understanding a little bit about history and humanity will be really important as we move into these new technologies” such as artificial intelligence. Mary Snapp on Green Connections Radio
We walk into meetings or even coffee shops and can guess the stories of the people we see. It’s fun, but also one of the biggest hindrances to innovation – and to a successful diverse workplace. Microsoft is tackling this one head on, according to the executive leading these efforts. Considering that “seven out of the ten largest STEM occupations were computer related,” according to a 2017 report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we can all benefit.
Listen to Microsoft Corporate Vice President and Microsoft Philanthropies head Mary Snapp, who has worked in nearly every non-technical area of the company in her 30 years there, talk about how a company dependent on innovation drives diversity.
. The core issues are our own behaviors, one employee at a time.
· Why a growth mindset is more important than credentials
. About the link between leaders’ vulnerabilities and innovation.
· About addressing the assumptions we all have every day – especially in hiring
. How the words we use can make or break a new idea’s success, or a career
· Great career advice… and much more!
“Be willing to do something where you don’t know what the outcome is going to be….Have confidence in yourself that whatever happens, good or bad, you’ll figure it out.” Mary Snapp on Green Connections Radio
You'll want to check out these interviews too:
· Maria Freire, CEO, the Foundation of the NIH, innovating with large organizations.
· Beth Colleton, Former CSO for NBCUniversal and the NFL on driving social innovation in a large organization.
· Cheryl Kiser,Author of “Creating Social Value" & Executive Director, Lewis Institute for Social Innovation at Babson College.
· Laura Nereng, Leading innovator at 3M focusing this legacy company on impact innovation.
Thanks for subscribing on iTunes or Spotify or iHeartRadio (or wherever you like podcasts) and leaving us a review!
Join our mailing list to stay up to date on the top podcasts, blogs and special offers!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices